MEASURES WITH REGARDS TO INTER-TOWN MOVEMENT IN THE SALDANHA BAY MUNICIPAL AREA
STATEMENT BY THE EXECUTIVE MAYOR OF SALDANHA BAY MUNICIPALITY, ALDERMAN MARIUS KOEN
Dear Resident and Visitors to the Saldanha Bay Municipal Area
Our community is experiencing an unprecedented attack on its healthcare, safety and security. The past week has been challenging and placed a high demand on all of our reserves. We would like to thank residents and current visitors who have diligently adhered to the current nation-wide lockdown regulations. It is strongly believed that the only way to stop the Coronavirus from spreading is for individuals and household members to stay home and prescribe to social distancing as much as possible.
As from Saturday, 4 April 2020 our towns will enter into a full lockdown phase with specific restrictions in terms of inter-town movement. It is understood that the lockdown has caused great disruption to all our lives and caused upheaval in our economy, but we agree that this response is absolutely necessary to save the lives of our people.
The lockdown requires of all individuals and households to make certain personal sacrifices. We urge residents to:
- Be advised to only purchase all essentials within the respective areas where they live. Nobody will be allowed to shop outside the towns where they reside.
- Buy from local stores and service providers only.
- If possible, substitute your normal brands with what is available locally during this time.
- Should you require emergency or essential medical services, prescription medication or essential products such as food, which is not available in your town, you have every right to access such goods and service in a nearby town or at your regular pharmacy or your nearest emergency medical facility.
- It is advised that, in the instance where you leave your place of residence to obtain prescription medication or if you have a doctor’s note for a medical appointment, that you keep a copy in your possession whilst traveling.
- Suppliers of essential goods and services must be able to provide permits when delivering such goods or when performing their services.
- The Municipality cannot grant permission to individuals for traveling. You can explain the purpose of your traveling to the Law Enforcement upon being stopped. Alternatively, you can obtain a signed affidavit in this regard from the local police station and present it to the law enforcement officials.
Our stance with regard to arrangements pertaining to this lockdown period is in the best interest of all residents. Only together can we stop the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus). More than ever before we must unite in this common goal. Please support our efforts. Your cooperation with Law Enforcement when you are stopped at road blocks will be appreciated.
We would also like to make use of this opportunity to acknowledge and thank all frontline personnel from many sectors in our society, from healthcare to law enforcements entities and all other providers of essential services and goods for their dedicated efforts.
SALDANHA BAY MUNICIPALITY